Search Constraints

You searched for: Acquisition Source Comstock, Jim Remove constraint Acquisition Source: Comstock, Jim
Number of results to display per page

Search Results

Viewed from the South West. This barn has asymmetrical gable ends indicating it was built before 1840.
View from the North East.
View from the south west. Built in 1795 by Ferdinado Fairfax, godson of George and Martha Washington.
View from the south west.
Located on Bullskin Creek, the house was built by John Ariss in 1786.
Interior of the house, west end of north wall of room to right of "?". Also known as Shepard Hall, the structure was built in 1798 by Moses Shepard.
South and West (Rear) of the structure also known as "Shepard Hall". The house was built in 1798 by Moses Shepard.
View from South West. The house was built in the late 18th century.
View from the North West.
Located in the Halltown area, it's also known as the Humphreys-Alexander House. The structure was built ca. 1845.
View from south west. Also known as Prospect Hill, the house was built ca, 1796.
View from the south west. Built by Frank Turner in 1830 on the Berryville Rd. near Charles Town. He sold the property, also known as Bullskin Farm to Straith Briscoe.
View from the southwest.
Built ca. 1775, view is of rear of the house.
View of outbuilding from south-east.
Also known as the Fairfax Grant Stock Farm, built ca. 1775.
Outbuilding which is probably a meat house on a large farm, viewed from the south-west.
Known as "Traveler's Rest" the view is from the south-east. Gates built the house ca. 1760.
Gates named the home he built ca. 1760, "Traveler's Rest". The view is from south-west.
View of the back of the house from the north-east. General Horatio Gates built the house ca. 1760. Later he served under George Washington during the American Revolution.
View of the Horatio Gates home from the north-east.
Also called Tudor Hall. Built ca. 1820, the view is from the north-east.
North end of court room, west of main corridor. Extensive damage was done to the courthouse during several army occupations and battles during the Civil War. The structure was eventually restored.
Named Falling Spring and located near Shepherdstown, West Virginia. The structure was built by Jacob Morgan in 1841. Viewed from the south-east.
Built by Samuel Washington, younger brother of George Washington in 1770. Viewed from the north-west.
Built by Samuel Washington, younger brother of George Washington, in 1770. View from the south-east.
Built by John Thornton Augustine Washington, grand-nephew of George Washington, in 1825. View from the south-east.
Located near Leetown and built in 1835 by Federal Judge Henry St. George Tucker. View from the south-east.
Built ca. 1742 by Dr. John McCormick. View from the south-west.
Handhewn clapboard house was built ca. 1751. Peter Burr was first cousin to United States Vice President Aaron Burr.
Handhewn clapboard house was built ca. 1751. Peter Burr was first cousin to United States Vice President Aaron Burr.
John Worthington built the original structure in 1735. Dr. John Briscoe remodeled the house to it's present day appearance in 1780. View from the south-west.
House was built in ca. 1845. Since the photograph was taken the house has been demolished.
The "back House' shown in the is photograph was built in ca. 1737 by Richard Morgan, and grandson, Daniel Morgan built the "Great House" ca. 1800.
West side and (north) back end. John Brown tried and convicted here in 1859. The building was badly damaged during the Civil War and eventually restored.
East side and north end. John Brown tried and convicted here in 1859. The building was badly damaged during the Civil War and eventually restored.
North wall of the court room on the second floor. The building badly damaged during the Civil War and eventually restored.
North and West walls of main courtroom on second floor. John Brown tried and convicted here in 1859. The building badly damaged during the Civil War and eventually restored.
Slave quarters and outbuilding viewed from the South East. Also known as the R. Lucas House.
Celebration of West Virginia's 100 years of statehood.
Constructed for the New York World's Fair 1964-1965. In picture: William Wallace Barron- Governor and Hulett C. Smith- Commissioner of Commerce
Marshall Burns outbuilding viewed from S.W.
Originally built in 1750, Beverley has been remodeled several times. Near Rippon, West Virginia.
View from the N.W. of the log house.
Also known as the Vinton Farm, the house was built in 1840.
A Georgian style mansion built in 1840 by Bushrod C. Washington, grand nephew of George Washington.
Possibly part of the Vestal or Shenandoah Bloomery, the first ironworks west of the Blue Ridge Mountains. William Vestal operate the ironworks built on his land, from 1742 to 1760.
Left to right:n Great Britain's Prince Edward; U. S. Army General John J. Pershing; Unidentified; Winston Churchill; and John W. Davis.  Davis was from Clarksburg, W. Va. and ran for United States President in 1924.
Notes on back of photograph: "Uncle Edgar Lucher (3rd on porch), Uncle Ira Lucher (And first wife, who's name is unreadable), Uncle Sam Fordham and Clara Lucher (daughter of Aunt Nina)." Note the nets over the horses' ears to keep flies out.
Fighter pilot in WWII, won many victories over Europe. After the war became a Jet test pilot and the 1st to travel faster then sound in 1947.
"Captain Bill Griffith" (William C. Griffith of Big Briar Creek, Boone County, West Virginia. Griffith captained a stern wheeler named "Peytona" on the Coal River. He was the first to navigate a stern-wheeler through the Coal River's new locks and dams in 1855. During the Civil War, Griffith served in the ranks of Company B, 36th Virginia Infantry Regiment, Confederate Army.
This photo was taken before retirement from active duty, July 1960. Hearne served in the West Virginia State Legislature and State Republican Party.
Commanded Confederate troops during the first invasion of Kanawha Valley, 1861. Wise was Governor of Virginia, 1856 -1860.
Director, producer, and screenwriter in the motion picture industry.
Dundon was a resort area along the Elk River.
Probably a guest of the resort at Dundon near the Elk River.