63rd Annual Session Improved Order of Red Men; 32nd Annual Session Degree of Pocohontas, Charleston, W. Va.
"The Improved Order of Red Men is one of the nation's oldest patriotic fraternal organizations, established in 1834. Their rituals are modeled after those assumed to be used by Native Americans. The organization claimed a membership of about half a million in 1935, but has declined to a little more than 15,000. The Order's female auxiliary is the Degree of Pocahontas, which dates back to the 1880s."
Street view of the ivy covered building. "The capitol annex sat at the corner of Lee and Hale Streets and housed the offices of the auditor, treasurer, the Supreme Court, the state law library, the adjutant general, and the Department of Archives and History until the new capitol was completed in 1932. The building later housed the Kanawha County Public Library from 1926 to 1966 and Morris Harvey College from 1935 to 1947. The building was demolished in 1967."