Lang Family in front of the Sheriff's Residence in Clarksburg, W. Va.
Sheriff Residence: 1896-1900 Facing Back Street now Washington Avenue. Three women standing in front of the house: Elizabeth Bond Lang (Wife John G. Lang) Etta Lang (Wife of F. Shuttleworth) Susan Hornor Lang (Wife of Sheriff Lq.L. Lang).
Front: The North Western Virginia Academy built in 1843. Replaced by the Towers Public School building in 1894. This picture was taken prior to the year 1886. Back: 'And don't you remember the School Ben Bolt. With the master so cruel and grim and the shanded nook in the running brook- Where the children went to swim- Grass grows on the masters grave Ben Bolt. The spring of the brook is dry. And of all the boys who were schoolmates then there are only you and I.'
'Built in 1835, the Oglebay Park Mansion House is typical of the Greek Revival in architecture. The eigth owner of this magnificent home was Earl W. Oglebay, who left his estate, Waddington Farm, to the people of the city of Wheeling for park and recreational use. Waddington Farm was re-named Oglebay Park in 1928 and placed under the management of the Wheeling Park Commission. Originally the hub of an old plantation, the Mansion House is an interesting chronicle of early Americana. Through its period rooms and special collections, it dramatizes life in the Ohio Valley from the frontier period to the Victorian era. The glass collection has outstanding exhibits of some of the finest glass produced in the Midwest during the Nineteenth Century. Over five hundred items of glass, primarily of Wheeling area origin, are on display. The mansion House was comnpletely renovated in 1962 and a three store fireproof wing was added in 1966 through the generosity of Courtney Burton of Cleveland, Ohio, grandson of Earl W. Oglebay. The addition, known as the Burton Galleries, has one level devoted to the history of the Oglebay Family.'
'Looking north into Virginia 237.8 miles above junction of New and Gauley Rivers. Virginia-North Carolina State line in immediate foreground; this is the second crossing of State line by New River. Cox ferry in center; foot of Buck Mountain in background. Taken about 11:30 a.m., April 27, 1932. All views are looking upstream unless otherwise noted. Mileage is by river above junction of New River with Gauley River to form Kanawha.'
'Looking south opposite mile 233 across Virginia-North Carolina line, which river crosses for third and fourth time about the middle of the picture. State line runs through island at right. Bridge on U.S. Highway No. 1 running south from Independence.'