Junction Where Battle Between Averell and Patton Took Place
Junction of the Anthony's Creek Road and the James River and Kanawha Turnpike 'now route 60' where Averell's force met Patton's brigade in a head on collision. This was the scene of the fiercest fighting; the road in the center was filled with the dead and wounded. Photo taken about 1912 is from Mac Corkle's 'White Sulphur Springs. See West Virginia Collection Pamphlet 6610 and Boyd Stutler's 'West Virginia in the Civil War.'
Caption on back reads, 'Fire in the ventilation system or fan house of the Gaston Mine, 1912. This mine was opened by James Otis Watson in 1874. Located at Watson and closed in 1925. It was located in what is now the present boundary of the friendly city of Fairmont.'
Guns and Ammunition Seized During First Martial Law Proclamation
'Arms and ammunition surrendered to or captured by state troops immediately after first declaration of martial law on Paint Creek and Cabin Creek, September 2, 1912. See book, page 32, etc. Picture used on page 32 of book by H. B. Lee. Rifles, machine guns, pistols, and ammunition seized by the militia in the strike zone. Boxes on the left contain 225,000 rounds of machine gun ammunition.'