Search Constraints

You searched for: Date ca. 1908 Remove constraint Date: ca. 1908 Medium print Remove constraint Medium: print
Number of results to display per page

Search Results

Cut No. 5. National road Ohio Co., where macadam has been replaced with brick paving.
Postcard of High Street in Morgantown, West Virginia. People are walking on the sidewalks of High Street while a trolley is heading toward South High Street and a horse-drane carriage is parked near an unidentified store.
Picture of a boy standing next to the Cut No. 16 Road in Monongalia County, W. Va.  before the organization of the W. Va. Good Roads Association. See photograph number 001695 for a view after improvement.  From the Report of the W. Va. State Board of Agriculture for the Quarter Ending Sept. 30, 1908.
'Operated by the White Oak Fuel Co. of Fayette County.'
White Oak Railway Co. built this Oak Hill Station to serve the area.
Caption reads, 'There are over 500 schools of this size and smaller in West Virginia.  Consolidation would make better schools and save money.'
View of Westover Bridge from Westover bank of the Monongahela River. The Bridge is decorated with flags and banners.
Klondyke Mine, Dunn Loop was the largest producer in the field. 'Dunn Loop Coal and Const. Chartered in W. Va. on Feb. 16, 1893.'
Pardee and Curtin Lumber Company, Nicholas County.
Picture of a stone crusher and storage bins in the city of Charleston, W. Va. The crusher is back in the shadow to the right. From the Report of the W. Va. State Board of Agriculture for the Quarter Ending Sept. 30, 1908.
Station of the Piney River and Paint Creek Railroad Co. at Beckley, Raleigh County, W. Va.
Picture of a road intersection. Cut No. 19 was the same as No. 18 after improvement. From the Report of the W. Va. State Board of Agriculture for the Quarter Ending Sept. 30, 1908.<br />
View of houses and fence at Bruceton Mills.
The logger identified in this image, John Hinkle was born August 23, 1856 in Braxton County, W. Va. and later moved to Webster County where he married his wife Eliza Ann Anderson on August 19,1876.  They established their home on Holly River, which would later be known as Wheeler.  John Hinkle was reported to have been a businessman, farmer, jeweler, and photographer.  He also started a general store, A.J. Hinkle and Son, in Wheeler, and was Postmaster at Wheeler Post Office from 1905 until 1913 when his son, Perry, succeeded him.  John Hinkle died October 8, 1930 in Webster County, W. Va. and is buried at the Alexander Anderson Cemetery.(source: genealogy research of Sherry P. Gallagher-Jaffre)
View of a portion of the stone quarry in the city of Charleston, W. Va., showing cliff of over 50 ft. high. From the Report of the W. Va. State Board of Agriculture for the Quarter Ending Sept. 30, 1908.
Birds eye view of Summerlee Mine, shows railroad leading to the tipple.
Children of Charles and Laura Core- 1. Jessie Core 2. Rose Core 3. Bart Core- killed in W. W. I 4. Earl Core 5. Bill Core; June Houston, teacher; 6. Lenna Core- daughter of Ross and Victoria Core.
Tipple and General Store in the Background
Collins Operation - tipple and coke ovens.  Collins Colliery Co., Fayette County.  Daily capacity 1200 tons, 125 tons.
The River Bridge during construction.
Picture of Cut No. 17 which was the same as Cut. No. 16 after improvement. From the Report of the W. Va. State Board of Agriculture for the Quarter Ending Sept. 30, 1908.  See photograph number 001699 for view of road before improvement.
Men and horses stand in cut in hillside.  This construction work done by the White Oak Railway Co. was the Carter's Branch Cut to connection with the Virginia Railway.
'Probably Irene Bucher Gorby on the porch.  This home was sold to Wilbur Jacob McColloch and Mildred Gorby McColloch in 1929.  The house to the left was owned by J. W. Postlethwaite.  It was later raised by 8-10 feet to be out of floods which plagued New Martinsville in the early 20th Century.  Flood waters never invaded the Poslethwaite living area, but reached to 8 feet in the living room of 714 Maple Ave., the window behind Mrs. Gorby.  This photo is about 1908 when the Gorby's were married.'
Schoolhouse in Marion County.
'Operated by Cranberry Fuel Company of Raleigh County. Daily capacity was 1000 tons.'
Caption reads, 'Cut No. 8 is given here to illustrate the use of the Steam Traction Engine and the Big Road Grader in preparing the road bed for macadam or other permanent improvement.'
'Stuart Mine - Wooden tipple and powerhouse. Operated by Stuart Colliery Co. of Fayette Co. Daily capacity - 1250 tons.'
'Sprague Mine Tipple operated by Cranberry Fuel Co. of Raleigh County. Daily Capacity - 1000 tons coal.'
'Great Kanawha Colliery Co., Kanawha County.'
Freight and Passenger Train of the Piney River and Paint Creek Railroad Company.
Panoramic view of the town of MacDonald with tipple on the hillside.
Picture of Cut No. 18 road in Morgantown, Monongalia County, W. Va. before the organization of W. Va. Good Roads Association. Picture has one man standing on the side walk and another man driving a horse drawn wagon in the street. From the Report of the W. Va. State Board of Agriculture for the Quarter Ending Sept. 30, 1908
Cut No. 1, This is a photograph of the immense combination bridge across the Kanawha River in South Charleston, now in process of Construction.  This bridge is made to accomodate both the steam and trolley traffic and also foot-passengers.  The illustration here given, shows the Concrete Piers which are nearly 20 feet thick and 90 feet high.  It also shows the wooden superstructure necessary in the process of erecting the middle span of the bridge.
View of tipple, coke ovens, and surrounding buildings.
Passenger Train of White Oak Railway Co. with a line of people outside of it.
An entire school of nineteen has been taken to school in this wagon when the mercury was 20 degree below zero. Route, 7 miles.  Carbon heater. Centralized Schools will also make good roads.
Early days of Sprague Mine and Town of Cranberry Fuel Company.
Caption reads, 'Cut No. 11 is given here to show the damage which is all the time being done by the use of narrow tired wagons on our earth roads.'
Cut No. 6. A bad road in Monongalia County, West Virginia prior to organization of Good Roads Movement. Courtesy of Director Jas H. Stewart.
Caption reads, 'Cut No. 10 represents a macadam road in process of construction after the top course has been applied and is now ready for the roller.'
Prudence mine, Fayette County, which began operating in 1900.  Daily capacity - 1000 tons coal.
Houses all of the same style, possibly a coal camp.
'Operated by Cranberry Fuel Co. of Raleigh County. Daily capacity was 1250 tons.'
Sherwood Mine - power house, tipple, and dwelling houses. Price Hill Fuel Co., Fayette County.  Daily capacity - 1250 tons coal.
White Oak Fuel Co., Wingrove Mine - Tipple and Power House in Fayette County.
Caption reads, 'Cut No. 7.  Same road as that illustrated in cut No. 6 after improvement by Macadamizing. Courtesy of Director James H. Stewart.'
Tipple with filled coal cars.
Caption reads, 'Cut No. 12 represents a concrete culvert passing under the Government Test Road near the city of Huntington, W.Va.  This culvert has a concrete bottom, concrete wings for retaining the road and also for catching the water.'
Caption reads, 'Cut No. 9 represents a macadam road in process of construction, showing the grading and also the laying of the first course of stone.'
Beckley Slope Mine Tipple and Powerhouse operated by Beckley Coal and Coke Co. of Raleigh County.
Caption reads, 'Cut No. 13 is a view of the the government test road near Huntington.  The final solution of the road problem rests with the National and State Governments.'
Elevation of town is 3,300 feet.
A photo portrait of Lucille Cox about 2 years old.
Eleventh Annual Convention Barbour County S. S. Association, held in M. E. Church, South, August 25-26, 1908.
'This card was posted when Bernard was one day old.' 'Hello Bess: Here we are don't you think they keep me busy suppose you will be up soon to see your new nephew. Yours S.G.S.' 'Mrs. Bess Pigott, Frorthington, W. Va.' Viropa is outside of Shinston, W. Va.
'Will not be home until Sat. Sept. 19. Edward.' Postcard sent to Mr. Russel Rice, Evans City, Pa. R.F.D. #35 Box 10 on September 11, 1908.
Seated on a chair, far left is Professor William P. Willey and his beloved pet, Bob.  Bob was also the Law College mascot and a favorite of the students. He attended Professor Willey's lectures and was described as "one of the boys".  See the 1911 Monticola, p. 83-86 for a memorial and Professor Wiley's eulogy he delivered in class after Bob's untimely death.
Founded in 1899 by Dr. J. W. Hartigan, the hospital was located on Spruce Street at Kirk.
"Notice the roof of the depot, it is different than present depot, the town burned on May 30, 1911 the night of the first graduating class, the building on the top left is the hospital, later dorms, later grade school, later Brinson furniture, to the far right on hill is wooden high school before brick building built."
'"Evenwood, above the mill" (written by Dr. Ladwig). Same building, but from across the river or pond'.
From "Beckley U.S.A." by Harlow Warren, see p. 513, vol. 2. On back of portrait: "Scott Rogers teaching at free school 1915 county super four year term." In book: "The Raleigh County Board of Education, W. Scott Rogers served as county school superintendent one term from 1915-1919" (p. 513).
This photograph of Conrad and Cleo Skaggs was taken on the newlyweds' honeymoon. They were the parents of Mary Helen Skaggs Ashcraft and Dwight Skaggs.
Photograph postcard of Market Street, Parkersburg, West Virginia.