Bath Houses in Berkeley Springs, Morgan County, W. Va.
Berkeley Springs, W. Va. was officially established as a Health Resort Oct., 1776 by an Act of the Virginia Assembly. George Washington mentioned, when surveying the northern neck for Lord Fairfax in 1748, in his surveying notes the famed Warm Springs. A town site having been made there in 1776. The lots were sold at auction in 1777. Among purchasers were Gen. Washington, Gen. Gates, and other Revolutionary War officers. Berkeley Springs' first name was Bath. The Indians used these springs before the white man came.