"American Coal Company. The first commercial coal mine west of the Allegheny Mountains. The mine was opened in 1852. It was located in Fairmont, one block below the Watson Hotel on the Monongahela River and at the Baltimore [and] Ohio Railroad passanger station. The mine was opened in 1852 by James Otis Watson Of Fairmont. Scene shows 'Fairmont from the east side showing newspaper Building, 'Church on the Hill', and the hotel which later became the Hough House and the Skinner's Tavern."
'Looking up Madison toward Quincy, on Adams street, showing C. E. McCray's saddlery and harness shop on the corner; home of the Misses Eyster, the Chisler Hardware Store, old M. P. Church, opposite Dr. Lazell's residence.'
View of Fairmont, West Virginia from Hamilton's Hill. Homes and businesses of Fairmont are bounded by the Monongahela River on the right side of the photograph. Fairmont Normal School building is the tall building in the upper center of the image.
Fairmont State Normal School - New Addition from Palatine Knob, Fairmont, W. Va.
A close-up view of the new addition from Palatine Knob, in Fairmont, West Virginia. Fairmont Normal School building is the tall building left of center. Beeson's Hill bounds the city in the right background. See photograph numbers 005811 and 005812 for a continuation of this view of Fairmont.