South Side of Charleston, W. Va. During the Civil War
Copy of painting by A.M. Doddridge, 1863- Army camp just below Chesapeake and Ohio Depot site near mouth of Ferry Branch on the Kanawha river. Fort Scammon Hill in the distance. President Hayes and McKinley were stationed in camp.
Cut No. 1, This is a photograph of the immense combination bridge across the Kanawha River in South Charleston, now in process of Construction. This bridge is made to accomodate both the steam and trolley traffic and also foot-passengers. The illustration here given, shows the Concrete Piers which are nearly 20 feet thick and 90 feet high. It also shows the wooden superstructure necessary in the process of erecting the middle span of the bridge.