Search Constraints

You searched for: Geographic Names Tucker County (W. Va.) Remove constraint Geographic Names: Tucker County (W. Va.)
Number of results to display per page

Search Results

Plowing on Felton farm, located on the west bank of the Cheat River, north of the town of Parsons, W. Va.  Visible in the background is the Monongahela Power Company gauge house, which would measure the depth of water in the river.The two plowmen are Fred Felton, on the right, and Otto Plum, on the left.  Jack Felton was present, but is not pictured.  Draft horses pictured were owned by John Harold Felton, assessor of Tucker County and proprietor of the Holly Meadows Dairy.
A mob returns to Parsons, W. Va. from the former seat of Tucker County, St. George.  The mob had taken records from the old courthouse by force.The view is from the corner of Main Street and Second Street, looking northwest down Main Street toward Alum Hill in the distance, which slopes downward to the right.There are two large buildings on the right.  The first one is under construction, and has scaffolding on it.  It was still standing in 2017 and houses the McClain Printing Co.  The second building, which is a little taller, is completed.  This building becomes the temporary courthouse, and the county records and furniture are put into it.  This building was torn down in 2007.
A mob returns to Parsons, W. Va. from the former seat of Tucker County, St. George.  The mob had taken records from the old courthouse by force.The view is from the corner of Main Street and Second Street, looking northeast down Second Street toward the Shavers Fork River and a treeline.  In the top right corner in the distance is a mountain called Turkey Knob.Ward Parsons, the leader of the mob, is pictured in the lower right on a black horse.
A woman stands on a rock as she observe the scenery. In the background is a waterfall.
Standing by the hay wagon with a pitch fork is Samuel F. Harsh (b.1836-d.1912). His wife, Louisa, is standing at the very end of the hay wagon. The farm is located in the Canaan Valley.
From left to right is the C. I. Pell House (later Robert T. Barton's home), the company House of Beech Burgen, the F. S. Landstreet House, and the Allegheny Heights Hospital, later the site of the Coffman House.This image is part of the Thompson Family of Canaan Valley Collection. The Thompson family played a large role in the timber industry of Tucker County during the 1800s, and later prospered in the region as farmers, business owners, and prominent members of the Canaan Valley community.
A group of parade participants in patriotic garb make their way down the street.This image is part of the Thompson Family of Canaan Valley Collection. The Thompson family played a large role in the timber industry of Tucker County during the 1800s, and later prospered in the region as farmers, business owners, and prominent members of the Canaan Valley community.
Albert Thompson is pictured on the left with three unidentified associates.Albert Thompson brought the Thompson family to West Virginia and Tucker County in the late 1800s with the booming timber industry, taking advantage of Tucker County's forests. He bought the J. L. Rumbarger Lumber company and established the Thompson Lumber Company, which later became the Blackwater Boom and Lumber Company.This image is part of the Thompson Family of Canaan Valley Collection. The Thompson family played a large role in the timber industry of Tucker County during the 1800s, and later prospered in the region as farmers, business owners, and prominent members of the Canaan Valley community.
The Blackwater Boom and Lumber Company run until 1907, when the Babcock Lumber and Boom Company from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania bought the mill.This image is part of the Thompson Family of Canaan Valley Collection. The Thompson family played a large role in the timber industry of Tucker County during the 1800s, and later prospered in the region as farmers, business owners, and prominent members of the Canaan Valley community.
The Blackwater Boom and Lumber Company ran until 1907, when Babcock Lumber and Boom Company from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania bought the mill.This image is part of the Thompson Family of Canaan Valley Collection. The Thompson family played a large role in the timber industry of Tucker County during the 1800s, and later prospered in the region as farmers, business owners, and prominent members of the Canaan Valley community.
An unidentified man, likely a logger, takes a swig from a jug as he sits on newly cut trees.This image is part of the Thompson Family of Canaan Valley Collection. The Thompson family played a large role in the timber industry of Tucker County during the 1800s, and later prospered in the region as farmers, business owners, and prominent members of the Canaan Valley community.
This image is part of the Thompson Family of Canaan Valley Collection. The Thompson family played a large role in the timber industry of Tucker County during the 1800s, and later prospered in the region as farmers, business owners, and prominent members of the Canaan Valley community.