Unidentified engineer sits at the controls of a locomotive of probably a Chesapeake and Ohio train, looking out the window, down the track. Information on the back includes, "Stephen D. Trail Su. Co. W. V. 2000 From Roy Long Collection".
Laurel Fork & Sand Hill Railroad Owned by William C. Stiles, Jr., William R. Sterling, J. N. Camden, Samuel D. Karns, and Austin Gunnison
Established in 1866. The route of the line ran from the Baltimore & Ohio's Parkersburg Branch, the Northwestern Virginia Railroad, north, east and west. In practice it went to the oilfield at Volcano and no farther. In the photograph, the name "Maj. W. R. Sterling" is written across the engine.