Search Constraints

Number of results to display per page

Search Results

Charles "Casey" Jones, Amelia Earhart, and Carl B. Allen at the National Air Races.
Photo from WVU College of Mineral Resources Scrapbook. Three unidentified men standing outside Clark Hall, WVU.
Men stand outside storefront. 'West side of 10th St. between 6th and 7th Avenues.'
"W. Va. Indus. [and] Pub. Comm."
The Davis Coal and Coke Company shown operating on line of the West Virginia Central  and Pittsburgh Railway Company.
'Amusements--Dancing in a large dance hall, overhanging the cliffs below.  Tennis, bass fishing, horseback riding, hiking and motoring over good roads to nearby places of interest.  Among these are Antitam battlefield, 15 miles; Charles Town, 8 miles, where John Brown was tried and hung; South Mountain 'the Geo. Alfred Townsend Arch', 10 miles; Frederick, the home of Francis Scott Key and Barbara Frietchie, 19 miles; Braddock Heights, 24 miles; Winchester, 30 miles; Endless Caverns, Luray Caverns and Gettysburg, from 50 to 70 miles. Railroad--On the main line of the B. and O.  There are numerous through trains a day for Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia and New York; also for Chicago, Cincinnati and St. Louis.  Fifty-six miles from Washington, our nearest large city. T. S. Lovett, Proprietor.'
Norfolk and Western coal car being loaded at a tipple.
Railroad workers are posing in front of a train at the C and K Railroad at MacFarlan Station in Ritchie County, West Virginia.
'The Gaston Gas Coal Company, Gaston Mine Plant. Located one half mile South of Hunsaker Bridge on West Fork River. Owned by James Otis Watson and successor to American Coal Company's mining plant, built in 1852 at the Baltimore  and Ohio Railroad Depot. This mine founded in 1875, closed in 1925. Picture shows 15 drop-bottom railroad cars called 'Hoppers.' These cars average 55 ton coal carrying capacity.'
'Greenbrier County's Second Courthouse erected in 1820. Was D. J. Ford and Son's Store from 1837 until the great fire.'
'Dr. Fielding Yost and wife Malanda Ann Yost lived in this house in Morgantown, W. Va.  This is on Main St.  They put three sons through college to be Dr.'s.  Copied from back of picture owned by Lewis Stemple, loaned to Dr. Core for Copying - written Mar. 1978; Is this on the west side of High Street or corner of Wall Street?  Marion Tapp thinks it is the Franks Home, S. W. corner of Fayette St. and University Ave.  She lived near there as a child.  A double home is on the site of the Morgantown plat of 1921.'
Three Baltimore and Ohio workers standing in front of a B and O train engine, Grafton, W. Va.
Seven Baltimore and Ohio Train Workers stand in front of a railroad car.
View of the Ruins of the Colonade Bridge (B. and O. R. R.) Destroyed by Gen. Stonewall Jackson in 1861.
B. and O. Tunnel going under Maryland Heights in Harpers Ferry, W. Va.
'Showing Fourth Avenue from Eleventh to Twelfth Street.' 'From the Offices of F. S. and C. A. Loar, First National Bank Building, Huntington, W. Va.'
Cutting machine in operation at the Pocahontas Exhibition mine, Pocahontas Va. on the Norfolk and Western Railway. 'Permission is granted to reproduce this photograph only on condition that all reproduction shall bear the following credit line: Photograph by Norfolk and Western Railway.'
Several Baltimore and Ohio Coal Cars on driving on railroad tracks at an unidentified coal mining community near Grafton, West Virginia.
View of Webb and Neal Funeral Home in Beckley, West Virginia. R. H. Neal, manager.
Engraving of Harpers Ferry by moonlight.  Entered according to Act of Congress A.D. 1874 by D. Appleton and Coin the Office of the Librarian of Congress, Washington.
People line the streets in front of the Matewan Hardware and Furniture Co. Inc. on Union Relief Day. 'Pix used on page 58 of book.'
A picture postcard of Valley Heights Hotel on Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad in Pence Springs, West Virginia.
Large building with the Ellis Drygoods Store, the Smart Clothing and Shoe Store, Dr. D.G. Smallridge Dentist office, the Sub-District Office No. 1 of Dist. 17 U. M. W. A., and the Mecca, J.P Payne Proprieter.
'Identification given in scrabook - Arthurdale Cabin. [Archives and Manuscripts] 1646 Neg. [and] print. Restored log house on Arthur Farm.'
View of trolley car 103 of the Fairmont and Mannington R.R. Co. in Fairmont, West Virginia.
Baltimore and Ohio Railroad cars pass under the preparation plant buildings.
'Interior of Chesapeake [and] Ohio Railroad Freight Depot at Alderson W. Va. At extreme left, behind counter is the station agent T.L. Dameron and standing on extreme right is freight agent W.A. Hancock (who worked in the Alderson station for fifty years. He was a deaf-mute.)'
Built by Jackson  and Sharp in 1901. Car seated 28 passengers. Later became part of the Ohio Valley Electric R.R.
Men, women, and children standing in front of the H. Fisher and Co. Store.  Horse drawn carriages are also in front.
Interior of Ashworth Home and Auto Supply, a Firestone Store, 211 Price Street, Beckley, West Virginia.
'Erected in 1820. Was D. J. Ford and Son's Store from 1837 until the great fire.'
Portrait of C.E. Silling, whose C.E. Silling and Associates designed the West Virginia Science and Culture Center.
Postcard of a house "Uncle Frank [and] Aunt Jenni Wolfe's Home" in Reedsville, W. Va. with a 1909 Buick belonging to W. R. Loar parked in front.
View of trolley car 236 of F. and C.T. Co., Fairmont, West Virginia.
Sim Ballard sits in the back seat of a car full of people. They hold a banner outside the car that says 'On the Boundary Line, U. S. and Mexico.'
'Burning of old Hotel Adelphi, S. E. corner of 6th Ave. and 9th St. Water Supply failed and no water to fight the fire.'
View of Glen Jean Athletic Club building and nearby dentist's office. 'Near Treveys Studio. Trevey's negatives were stored in the attic of this building after he closed his studio. McKell Ballfield on left, famous for a type of softball called Letemhitit.  Insurance agency on right operated by James Long.  Railroad is the K. G. J. [and] E. (Kanawha, Glen Jean, and Eastern). Athletic building contained a pool room, bowling alley, etc.'
Bountiful Ridge and Nurseries Princess Anne, Maryland display at the Apple Blossom Festival in Martinsburg, West Virginia.
Men are standing in front of the News Depot Confectionery and Stationery Store in Grafton, West Virginia.
View of the old Court House on Main Street in Moorefield, opposite the Presbyterian Church. 'The old brick Court House on Main Street was the second Court House. This fine old building sat back about thirty feet from the side walk with an iron fence in front. This was done by the Eberlys. This building was used until 1913 when the new Court House on Washington Street was opened. It was a nice cool old building. The large trees in the yard provided nice shade for loafers on hot summer days and the well of cold fresh water is just hidden by the scales along the street. There was always several benches in the yard in the summer time. Just inside of the front door wide steps led to the main court room on the second floor. The court room had a gallery around the North, East, and South sides with Judges stand and Jury seats in the West. The gallery was held up by large iron posts. At this time (1955) some of these old iron posts are serving as porch posts at the home of Howard Williams West of town. On the first floor a passage way led around both sides of the steps and into a hall in the center of which led to the back of the building. On both sides of this hall were offices for the Sheriff, Clerk, and lawyers. Picture is from Miss Maie Alexanders Moorefields Oldest Htg. and Appl. dealer collection.'
View of Davis Coal and Coke Company with smoke stacks, Tucker County.
"Grafton: Junction of Baltimore [and] Ohio with Northwestern Virginia Railroad. 279 miles from Baltimore. The Road to Wheeling is seen in the foreground, while the Road to Parker-burg crosses the Tygart's Valley River by the new Iron Bridge. The Road Workshops and the new Hotel are seen in the forks."
On S. E. Corner of Spruce and Pleasant Street.
View of trolley car 103 of the Fairmont and Mannington R.R. Co., in Fairmont, West Virginia.
A streetcar is driving on High Street at the corner of High and Pleasant Street. Moore and Parriott's Drug Store is on the right side on the corner.
"Pub. by Louis Kaufmann [and] Sons, Baltimore, MD"
Family sitting in front of the Moravics and Co. building which also houses a general merchandise store.
Outside view of The Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Co. Grocery Store in Grafton, W. Va.  Two men standing in front of the entrances.
Several automobiles are parked in front of the C and O Railroad Depot in Huntington, West Virginia.
Colo. Fuel and Iron Co. horse drawn cart with a coffin in the back. The cart is parked in front of the Majestic and Fisk Tires buildings.
Rebel's View, looking East up the Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad and the Greenbrier River.  Above the Iron C and O Railroad bridge.
'Fire Department on parade, in front of old city hall, 9th St. between 4th and 5th Ave., where Deardorf Sisler store was located.'
Elkins National Bank and the local 5 and 10 Store, in Elkins, West Virginia.
Interior of the C. and O. Machine Shops in Huntington, West Virginia.
'For latest styles in men's shoes, hats, caps and furnishings go to Steinbeck and Goe, Second Street, near bridge, Weston, W. Va.  Ladies', Misses' and children's shoes and hosiery a specialty.  Sole agents for the Dolly Madison shoe for women and the Crossett shoe for men.  'The better the grade the bigger the trade.''
Model of a country store in the State Museum of the Science and Culture Center in W.V.  "Want to find some Dr. LeGear's Hog Prescription?  Or simply reminisce?  The I.P. Russell [and] Sons Country Store in the State Museum of the Science and Culture Center will offer that oppurtunity.  It's a replica of the old-time West Virginia country store, well-researched and assembled by the students of Robert B. Connor, Associate Professor of Marketing at West Virginia University."
'C and P telephone office now on this site.'
J.A. Flanagan, C. H. Kidwiler, and S.E. Giffin are honored for their safety record during the 50th Anniversary, Friday, July 7, 1950, Standard Lime and Stone Co., in Bakerton, West Virginia.
Photo postcard of John Edward Hallam. Hallam poses for a basketball photo at White School in Fairmont W. Va. He later married Stella Gattian.
Reverse reads "Please do not get scared". The men appear to be part of some type of military unit.
Eighth Grade School picture at the Butcher School.
Baby Stella is dressed in a long white gown.
Five unidentified  people on the porch of P. W. Atkinson's residence.
Reserve Officer Training Corps Units, including the band form on Mountaineer Field and pass in review as spectators watch from the stands.
Portrait of General David Hunter Strother standing in the woods.
Spruce town and mill.
Scenery along the Western Maryland R.R. Train traveling toward Hambleton from Parsons at Watering Tank. Printed for F.S. Johnston Drug.
Machinery likely inside Blaker's Mill, a Greenbrier County mill relocated to Jackson's Mill.
Portrait of Colonel John Higginbotham of Buckhannon.
Postcard of Old Sorrel, Stonewall Jackson's Civil War horse. He died at Soldiers' Home, Richmond, Virginia on April 10, 1888 at the age of 32 years.
A view of a broken wall and partial sidewalk along University Avenue at Sunnyside in Morgantown, West Virginia.
Mine crew building top of mine shaft enclosure at Eccles, W. Va. Sherman A. Clay present.
A photograph taken of Robert E. Lee by Matthew Brady after surrender.
Coal train going past houses.
Portrait of Brigadier General Jospeh Andrew Jackson Lightburn, 1824-1901.
Locomotive engine on tracks. Cass Scenic R.R. Cass, W.V.
Shay train engine No. 8 with five men standing beside it.
Edward Ozanic Jr. dressed in cowboy wear sitting on a small horse.
Interior of a grainer building.
The Raine brothers were owners of a logging company in Rainelle, W.Va., Greenbrier County.
Men in hard hats stand in front of giant shovel scoop.
Blizard, Mooney, Petry, and Keeney were the leaders of the coal miners union during the mine wars in southern W. Va.
The pilothouse of the Humphrey towboat with a man at the controls.
Home where Mrs. Watson moved in Monongalia County; woman and child in front of house.
View of Highwall: Many feet of overburden are removed by the large electric shovels to expose the coal seam. After completion of mining operations, the land is graded. It is then planted in forage crops, and beef cattle graze on it. Many trees have also been planted on lands affected by open-cut mining operations. At approximately the vertical center of the picture is a stratum of limestone which is quarried for use as road aggregate, track ballast and agricultural meal.  Hanna Coal Company, Division of Pittsburgh Consolidation Coal Company
Bismark, a valuable ram, bred and owned by Col. C.H. Beall of Brooke County W.Va.
Group portrait of glass Workers at the Fostoria Glass Company, Moundsville, W. Va.