Oglebay Park Mansion House in Wheeling, W. Va.

Oglebay Park Mansion House in Wheeling, W. Va.
'Built in 1835, the Oglebay Park Mansion House is typical of the Greek Revival in architecture. The eigth owner of this magnificent home was Earl W. Oglebay, who left his estate, Waddington Farm, to the people of the city of Wheeling for park and recreational use. Waddington Farm was re-named Oglebay Park in 1928 and placed under the management of the Wheeling Park Commission. Originally the hub of an old plantation, the Mansion House is an interesting chronicle of early Americana. Through its period rooms and special collections, it dramatizes life in the Ohio Valley from the frontier period to the Victorian era. The glass collection has outstanding exhibits of some of the finest glass produced in the Midwest during the Nineteenth Century. Over five hundred items of glass, primarily of Wheeling area origin, are on display. The mansion House was comnpletely renovated in 1962 and a three store fireproof wing was added in 1966 through the generosity of Courtney Burton of Cleveland, Ohio, grandson of Earl W. Oglebay. The addition, known as the Burton Galleries, has one level devoted to the history of the Oglebay Family.'
Mansions--West Virginia--Wheeling., Cities--Wheeling--Camps, Clubs, and Parks.
Family Names:
Ogilvie family.
Oglebay Park (Wheeling, W. Va.)
Acquisition Source:
Wolf's Head Books
Acquisition Method:
West Virginia History OnView